Sunday, October 15, 2006

Guest Blogger Alert

Hello readers of the Portastatic blog! Jennifer O'Connor here. I will be your sporadic guide through the waters of this Portastatic/Jennifer O'Connor tour. We are four dates in so far and it has been a blast. I write to you now from my home in Brooklyn New York. Which is kind of weird because technically we are on tour but we've been coming back each night so far because all of the dates have been pretty close to NYC. And photos will be coming, but not today as I have seemingly lost my camera. But it's a good excuse to go buy a new one!

So, let's recap. Our first night in Philly was, as Mac pointed out in an earlier post, very wet. I mean pouring down rain from the moment we rolled into town until the moment we left. Our respective bands met and hung out in the little room downstairs - this was to be the beginning of a great week, I could tell already. Then we both did some rocking and went about our ways for the night.

Day 2 = Boston - a town I play quite a bit in. New venue for me though - Great Scott. Really cool bar and people running it. Portastatic really killed it on this night I thought. "I Wanna Know Girls" and "Sweetness and Light" solidfy themselves in my mind as set favorites. Jon Langmead, my drummer, gets up and plays this percussive shakery thing of which I forget the name. I want to say Kielbasa or something like the type of meat...but that can't be right, can it?

Also, has anyone mentioned that Portastatic has a coaster set for sale at the shows? Forgive me Mac if this has been discussed already...but these things are amazing! They are four coasters with different photos from the photo shoot for the record artwork and easily the coolest merch item I've ever seen.

Ok, I digress....NYC, Mercury Lounge. SOLD OUT. Amazing show. Great times had by all. Lots of friends. And the best sound of any club I've ever played. Always a pleasure. Mac and I had a nice conversation with K Sanneh about music in commercials and such.

Last night in Hoboken at the legendary Maxwell's. Portastatic was joined onstage by the lovely and talented Merge recording artist Annie Hayden. I was very excited to see this as I am a big fan of her Enemy of Love record. Really lovely set tonight - I was really digging the stripped down songs at the end. It's really cool how on different nights, different aspects of a bands' set will really reach you. So far, that's my favorite thing about touring with other bands. You come to have this really interesting relationship to their material as you hear it played every night. Different things jump out from night to night.

Anyway, tonight we hit New Haven and then down to the South. My next post will have some pictures for sure! Be well and say hi at the shows!
xoxoJO'C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home