and when i say "Best" i don't just mean "these are what I personally, in my not-so-humble (ha! jk! lol) opinion, think are the best" -- i mean studies have been done and anything listed on this blog indubitably and scientifically is one of The Best albums or songs or whatever of the year. i want to be clear about that, as so many year-end lists are basically "popularity contests".
ok now that that's out of the way we'll start with some excellent concerts i was lucky enough to see this year. some may be from last year, my memory's not great.Best Live Shows 2006Boris
- Local 506, Chapel Hill, NCAllen Toussaint
- Joe's Pub NYCTom Waits
- Thomas Wolfe Auditorium Asheville, NCWilco
- Memorial Hall UNC Chapel HillMountain Goats
- Irving Plaza, NYCMagik Markers
live Tanned Tin Festival Castellon, SpainFeist
- Cats Cradle, Chapel HillShellac
- Cats Cradle, Chapel HillOakley Hall
- Local 506 & Tonic NYCDeerhoof
- Cats Cradle, Chapel Hill, NCGirl Talk
- Local 506, Chapel Hill, NC
some shows i barely missed but would liked to have seen include Mavis Staples at the Arts Center in Carrboro, Joanna Newsom at Pop Montreal, and Bruce Springsteen on the Seger Sessions tour.
also please keep in mind that when i make lists i exempt all Merge Recording Artists from said lists, so let's just assume that every Merge Band that i saw this year would also be in this and every other Best Of... list i'll be making.