Thursday, March 18, 2010

It's Begun


Book People hosted a fun Our Noise event yesterday and despite the many offerings of 6th St and beyond we still had a nice crowd and some good Q&A action. More Our Noise today at the convention itself with Michael Azerrad moderating (at 2 pm if you're here and inclined). Didn't try to see a million bands last night, saved it up for Spoon at Stubbs at 12.15 AM, a time at which i'm not much aquainted with these days, and it was awesome. New songs sounded amazing live, especially "Trouble Comes Running" and "Got Nuffin"....

Hanging over the festival of course is the terrible news that Alex Chilton died yesterday, so sad and unexpected.

2 Comments:

Blogger daneolson1971 said...

Mac,
Thanks for the acknowledgement of Alex Chilton's death yesterday. Shocking, devastating news when it reached me.
I used to work for Alex at Ardent. (In fact, I gave yourself/Laura/Jon/Jim a tour of Ardent after our lunch next door at a mexican restaurant back in the mid-90's (Versus tour).)

He was a very misunderstood man, very guarded and cynical with a hard-exterior...but once you broke thru that shell he was the sweetest, funniest, most charming man to be around.

My love of the Replacements in the 80's brought me to Big Star, and my love of Big Star brought me to seek out many more then-underground unknowns....including you and Superchunk.

Rest in Peace, Alex. You will be sorely missed.

3:30 PM  
Blogger hermance said...

Thanks for doing the reading amidst all of the SXSW craziness. When the book first came out, I was bummed to see the photos from the readings around the Triangle, and was surprised and thrilled to get our own. Hard to believe that by the time I got home, Alex Chilton was no longer with this world. My music trajectory seems to have followed Dane's (though didn't lead me to a job at Ardent, alas!)--from the Mats to Big Star to so many great bands that also balance hooks and heart, like Superchunk and many, many other Merge bands over the years.

It's been a really rough few months for music. Wish I could see you guys play La Zona Rosa today, but spring break took away all of our usual babysitters. (Boy, writing that out makes me feel old.) Anyway, thanks again for the reading. It was great.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home